Monday, October 14, 2013

Uni Update

I'm into my second full week of classes at Uni Wien.

It's kind of intense; not only transitioning from working for the last four years to studying full time again, but also the fact that all of my classes are in German and about scientific topics makes my head want to explode by the end of the day.

I've got seven classes. That's right: SEVEN courses. In Europe they use the ECTS credit system, which has about twice as much worth as an American credit. That means I'm taking the equivalent to a full load in America, but my classes only meet once a week rather than a few times a week like in the States. 

Classes here require a lot of self study, which is stressing me out a bit right now. Other than the material covered during my five lectures, there is nothing keeping me on track throughout the semester other than one fat giant exam at the end. Or in my case, five separate exams.

I'm taking two seminars in addition to my five lectures, and those are smaller classes that I have more assignments and presentations to complete throughout the semester. In fact, my first presentation is this Friday on the topic Lernprozess und Interaktion (learning process and interaction).

These are the classes I am taking:
  • Phonetik im Unterricht (phonetics in classroom instruction)
  • Sprachenpolitische Grundfragen (fundamental questions concerning the topic language politics)
  • Germanistische Sprachwissenschaft (German linguistics)
  • Einführung in die Beobachtung und Analyse von DaF/Z Unterricht (introduction to the observation and analysis in foreign language instruction)
  • Linguistische und didaktische Grammatik (learning how to use grammar in the classroom)
  • Einführung in Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache (introduction to German as a foreign and second language)
  • Interkulturelles Lernen und interkulturelle Kommunikation (intercultural learning and communication)
And that, is my insanely full semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment